Just to prove that I haven’t completely abandoned this site, here is a look back at the craziness that was 2012. It was a year full of ups and downs, major changes, small(ish) changes, new hobbies and friends. Here is hoping that 2013 is a little easier on us.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I rock climbed for the first time ever, and turned it into a passion. Now it’s something I make time for every single week, no exceptions. Well, unless I’m sick, or injured…
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t keep any resolutions, as they just get left behind and completely forgotten about before February even rolls around. You shouldn’t really need them to accomplish goals in your life. If you want to change something, don’t wait for a date on the calendar, do it now.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Well, I wouldn’t say close to me, (I wish that were different) but Vance’s cousin Allison gave birth to the cutest and sweetest little baby girl in October. They live in California and we finally got some snuggles in over Christmas. Totally contracted the baby fever. SO NOT A GOOD TIME.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I lost one of my great-aunt’s this year. She seemed to fall ill so fast. I wasn’t really close to her, but I remember her very fondly from when I was growing up. Another example of why we shouldn’t take those around us for granted.
5. What countries did you visit?
Oh yeah, us leaving the country. That’s a good one.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you didn’t have in 2012?
It’s not so much for me, but for Vance…wait, it’s for all of us. I would like for my husband to have a job. One that pays really well, so I can quit working, or so that we can afford to put our two little ones in daycare and we can get some money put aside for a house. Thats what I want in 2013. It’s been 4 months, for CRYING OUT LOUD.
7. What dates from 2012 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
WELL. April 14th Archer turned 1. Aug 2nd Vance lost his job. September 16th marked 5 years since Deven was born and since I became a mom. A MOM TO A FIVE YEAR OLD: THATS ME. November 30th we took Deven to his first Rush concert and he had a BLAST, and though it’s not an exact date, my friend Karissa moved here in February and it was like no time had passed at all. It was like someone found my missing puzzle piece somewhere in Houston and drove it all the way back here and bought it a really nice house so it wouldn’t want to leave me again.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
I started working while taking 3 classes and I finished the semester with a 3.3o GPA. The entire time I thought I was going to lose my mind, but I didn’t. I don’t ever want to do that again (I’m taking 2 classes this next semester) but I proved that it could be done. 2 kids, a full-time job, and school is A LOT.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I feel like I could have been a better mom. I always feel that way. I’ve been so tired and overwhelmed, I sometimes would lose my patience with them, or not want to do anything fun with them. Something needs to change.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was diagnosed (finally) with ulcers in May, and have been taking some pretty hard-core medication for it ever since then.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Climbing shoes, a harness, and a chalk bag. Best investment EVER.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Vance is awesome for putting up with me and for taking on the role of Stay At Home Dad. Deven is a great big brother and has the most colorful imagination. Archer is completely adorable and is learning to talk. And I can do everything I set my mind to. So we’ve all kicked ass this year.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Don’t even get me started.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really excited about?
Seeing Rush for a SEVENTH time and taking my little budding Rush nerd with us. And climbing! I’m always excited about climbing though.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
This was a year of obnoxious songs that I couldn’t fucking get away from, so: that awful “Too Close” song from the Microsoft commercial, “Call me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen, and my least favorite of them all, “Somebody that I used to know” by MotherFucking Gotye. Makes me wish I was deaf every time I hear it.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
A) An imbalanced fluctuating mess b) about the same, only more muscular c) poorer. Oh god poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Listened to my kids, listened to Vance. Just took more time to listen to the people I care about.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Panicked. It’s not that I didn’t have reason, I could’ve just handled it a bit better.
20. How will/did you spend Christmas?
I spent it exactly where I belong: here with my little family, in our little living room.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
I recently discovered a show on HBO all about Warwick Davis (the guy from Willow) called Life’s Too Short. It’s pretty much my favorite thing ever. I immersed myself in this year’s True Blood, even though it’s questionable whether or not it was worth the attention.
22. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot for me this year, and all of it was pretty remarkable. I would have to say the book (or in this case, books) I enjoyed the most had to be the Hunger Games Trilogy. Every bit as good as everyone keeps saying.
23. What did you want and get?
More time with friends, and a new exciting hobby (climbing, duh.)
24. What did you want and not get?
More money, a job for Vance. Seriously.
25. What was your favorite film of 2012?
It’s a toss-up between The Dark Knight Rises and The Hunger Games.
26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On May 20, 2012 I turned 27, and for my birthday my wonderful husband and children cut me loose and let me spend the day relaxing with my bestie poolside at her estate. The entire day. It was amazing.
27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
The complete unquestionable assurance that everything was going to be just fine. Spoken like a true neurotic.
28. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2012?
My fashion concepts will never change: jeans, comfortable, snug-fitting tshirts, and converse. I will never ever outgrow it.
29. What kept you sane?
Excellent music. My friends and climbing. Even better: climbing WITH friends AND excellent music in the background.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.
If I don’t give myself a chance at the things I desire most in life, I will be doing myself an incredible disservice. And to roll with the freakin punches, you know, like I have some kind of choice in the matter.